Saturday, February 8, 2014

An Olympic Day


February 7 was a great day.  Philip visited his new school for the first time and met his teachers.  For privacy reasons I won't mention the details of the visit but will say it went great.  Philip's reaction was this:  I LOVE IT.  OPEN MINDED TEACHERS.  THEY TREAT ME AS BEING SMART.    

  
In honor of the Sochi Olympics beginning, Philip had a lesson on the Olympics.  We did an overview and quiz of the Olympics from the Brain Pop app.  Then I read portions of the Olympics entry in our encyclopedia.  Philip answered many facts about the games.  The Olympic creed is “The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle.  The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well.”  I asked Philip what he thought that meant.  TRY YOUR BEST, was his response.  What do you think of it?  IT IS GOOD BC I AM TRYING TO PERSEVERE EACH DAY AT SOMETHING NEW.  What sports do you look forward the most to watching?  SKATING AND SOCCER.  What is the best thing about the Olympics?  THE BEST PART IS WHEN THE ATHLETES AGREE NOT TO CHEAT.


In the evening we watched the Opening Ceremonies.  Philip noted I AM TOUCHED BY THE STORY OF RUSSIA.  I will take this as a springboard to teach Philip (and myself) some Russian history this week.  As I marveled over the beauty of the opening ceremony, I realized Philip had fallen asleep.  It was a good day, worthy of a gold medal in my book.      


      

No comments:

Post a Comment