Friday, March 28, 2014

School



Written 3/26 
by Philip


Today I liked school.  I am understanding to reassure America, I need to prove my intelligence by meeting the common core standards.  I kind of want to prove myself too.  Now to not care is preparing a person to aim low.  I am like a rifle aiming at the bulls-eye.  I am a person with a goal to go into an understanding profession.  I am interested in intelligences.  I want to pursue neuroscience.  I like studying how the brain works.  Many times understanding comes from my autism.  I enjoy understanding things.  I piece together teachings from school and life.  Each day tons of loops to tie up.  I am thinking of pieces of solving problems.
   
I think of the problem of DTTs (discrete trial teaching in ABA).  I think (my old school) gets it wrong.  They don’t teach anything.  They only use each day to reach nothing.  I used to learn to leave my mind behind.  Each day was torture.  I am liking (my new school) so much better.  It is a place where I can learn.  So long (old school).  I like not working for reinforcers.  I felt like a so-called animal.            



4 comments:

  1. Philip, you are a rock star. I love your positive attitude and your generosity of spirit. Reach for the sky, friend. You continue to show all of us that anything is possible!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read your comment to Philip. I am sending you and Oliver a giant virtual hug from NY!

      Delete
  2. Will you tell us more about your school? My six year old son types to communicate in southern California. He is included in general ed but the typing hasn't generalized into the school setting. Wanting to find a place where the school accepts this form of communication. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son is at a public middle school that has an autism classroom. Another parent before me worked hard to train the teachers there to use a letterboard as a communication device for her son. We both taught our sons through RPM. My son was able to transfer his pointing skills (still at a lower level than at home) to the staff pretty quickly. The goal for the fall is for Philip to be proficient enough with his letterboard to attend gen ed with an aide. I think it helped that the teachers believe in Philip and are fully on board with his communication method. We were lucky we did not have to be the groundbreakers. Even so, we continue to work closely with his teachers and communicate often.

      Delete