Sunday, November 17, 2013

This Is Autism

Last Monday, Autism Speaks told the world that autism is:

 . . . living in despair

 . . . fear of the future

 . . .exhausted, broken parents

. . . lost, helpless, burdensome children

. . .  a national emergency



To read the full Autism Speaks "Call For Action," click here.

Autism Speaks does not speak for Philip, me, or many other autistic people and their families (as evidenced in the comments section of the article).  We refuse to accept a definition of autism that plays on fear for gain, paints a one-sided negative view of autism, and ultimately dismisses our children as less than human.

In response to Suzanne Wright's "Call For Action" letter, a flash blog is set for Monday, Nov. 18 to take back the phrase "this is autism."  To submit or read contributions visit http://thisisautismflashblog.blogspot.ca/

Here is Philip's contribution (the parentheses indicate where I asked Philip to clarify his thought on the previous word):



THIS IS AUTISM 

Autism is a neat way of seeing the world.
I am autistic and I like it.
I am smart.
I argue with some people that say autism is a disease.
It is my life.
A lot of stims are feats (sensory needs) and raw emotion.
I am light to kids in prison to escape.
Talking (with letterboard) lightens a dark place.
I am autistic.

I am autistic.
I matter to God.
I am alone with my God to talk to Him.
He tells me that I am your servant,
He says "I am always with you."
Save me from silence.
He answers me.
I am autistic.

Philip, age 10, non-verbal

 At his friend Max's birthday party at Leaps and Bounce- Nov. 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment