Sunday, September 1, 2013

At the Movies



One of the reasons I blog is so I can cherish simple pleasures and someday look back at them with fondness.  Today was such a day.  I took in a movie with the guys in my life- my husband Sam and sons Carlos and Philip (the girls were with their friends).  We watched the newest Disney Pixar movie Planes. It was the first time we took advantage of AMC Theater’s “sensory friendly films.”  At these showings the volume is not ear blastingly loud, the lights are kept dimly on, and the silence is golden rule is suspended.  They show these films once a month.

I have to say, I think I will patronize AMC more often!  I will have to send the company a thank you note and hope other establishments will follow in making accommodations.  It was a wonderful experience to be among families with special needs.  For the first time, I could completely relax at a movie with Philip.  I didn’t have to worry about him making too much noise or getting up from his seat.  I didn't have to worry about other people's discomfort or judgement.  Actually, Philip was amazing!  He would have even done well in a regular movie (but you bet I’d be more anxious).  It could have been that the theater was so comfortable.  The chairs were large recliners you could put your feet up in.  The volume was just right.  Philip sat quietly watching the movie intently.  I kept nudging Sam to look at Philip as he was so cute watching the movie with his popcorn.  The audience was a little louder than usual, but it didn’t bother me one bit.  Some parents were following their children through the aisles the whole time.  One kid got excited at parts of the movie and would shout something out loud.  There was crying here and there.  I actually felt happy that the families could be so free.  Despite it all, I was able to concentrate on the movie and really enjoy it.  I must be used to blocking out background distractions!

When we got home I asked Philip about the movie.  I admit I was quizzing him a little.  I wanted to see how much he really took in.  Here’s how our conversation went.
L: What movie did we see?
P: PLANES
L: Who was the main character?
P: DUSTY
Philip was pretty hyper with a big smile on his face.  He got into fits of laughter that made it a bit hard to engage him at first.  Finally I asked, “How are you feeling?”
P: I AM HAPPY
L: What are you happy about?
P: YOU CARE.  YOU ASK ME HOW I FEEL.
L: I am happy too!  I really enjoyed the movie.  Did you?
P: Y
L: What did you like about the movie?
P: EASY TO UNDERSTAND
L: What part did you like in the movie?
P: AT ONE TIME DUSTY ASKED THAT SAME QUESTION I ASK
L: What is that?
P: CAN I PLACE IN THE COMPETITION?

At bedtime I asked Philip what he was thankful for today.  “MOVIE,” he replied.

I am thankful for the joy I had in seeing Philip enjoy the movie.   I am also thankful each day to hear each of his words. 



2 comments:

  1. We actually loved planes. I did a review of the movie as part of the lesson for the day and also went over the "moral" which is you can do anything you want with hardwork etc etc and Sanjay loved it.
    We came back and then did a who was your fav character and whom didn't you like it.
    next movie we watched was Turbo which was also similar, he will love that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! It sounds like your son is doing very well through RPM. These kids amaze me so much!

      Delete