Friday, April 24, 2020

Handwriting

I want to learn to handwrite. For most people this seems like it is so easy. Learning to write is very hard to do because my body is so apraxic. I mean to move one way but my nerves are all miswired. I mean to make my hand go right but instead it makes a movement to grab. I try to lift my hand but it just keeps going. Learning to get my body to learn new skills takes so much of my energy to accomplish. I get afraid I will never succeed. I get discouraged that all my energy will be wasted. I am worried other people won’t be patient enough to help me when my body gets crazy from the stress of making it do hard things. 

Handwriting is something I want to do so I can write my signature and fill out forms. I think writing is good for wanting to communicate if I don’t have a letter board or keyboard available. Handwriting will allow me to use my hands in another way that is acceptable. I want to be able to control my hands so I don't use them in bad ways like pinching, grabbing, or scratching people. Learning to control my hands is very hard but it will be worth it.




Copyright 2020 Philip Reyes.  All rights reserved.

11 comments:

  1. Go for it, Philip! If you feel motivated that is all you need to try this. Thanks for sharing.






















    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the good work!!!!!!!
    I've been looking for role models for my son and you will be a great one! Like you he is non verbal and will try to type on a tablet but he prefers to spell with many sets of foam bath toy alphabet letters. We are trying to teach him to write but he is lacking in hand strength. I know he will thrive just like you because he has a big support system of understanding neurologically diverse people who love him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job! I hope you and your family are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this! You can do it Philip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog. I love it! I have 2 nonverbal children and have been looking for someone who is nonverbal to tell me their story. I wanted to learn from that perspective. There are a lot of resources available by parents. But not from the autistic person.
    My son is like you and loves to type out and spell words. I know there is so much he is thinking about that he just isn’t able to tell me.
    Thank you for doing this blog. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing! You are such an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Phillip for helping me understand my son and what he must be going through. I've learned more patience since your blog was shown to me by my husband. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Phillip, you are a superhero! Please know that! I work with students like you and I want to understand them better. YOU are single-handedly doing just that by sharing your thoughts, your strengths, your weaknesses. Please know that I and many others on your blog care and read what you have to say! You must keep up with writing. Continue trying, don't give up. One can't always rely on computers, but good Ole fashion paper and pencil is divine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like you're off to a good start. I think capital letters are more satisfying to write than lower case. Most people print more now than do cursive, I think it's because we see more typing than writing. I prefer pancil to pen, I like the scratching sound. A triangle shape writing tool might make more sense to your hand, or some type of arm rest that would allow elevation for your elbow so you can focus on your hand and wrist more instead of having to organize your whole arm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you will eventually be able to write! just don't ever give up. you got this.

    ReplyDelete