Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Talking About the Oscars



Today Philip and I talked about the Oscars.  I wasn’t sure he knew what the Oscars were so I asked him, “What do you think the Oscars are?”  Philip spelled “AWARDS FOR MOVIES.”  I told Philip many different talents go into making movies and people are rewarded for acting, directing, writing screenplays, cinematography, special effects, and so on.  I told him if I were to work in the movies I would like to compose the musical score.  Then I asked him, “What part would you want to do?”

I would be the writer of the screenplay.

What would your movie be about?

It would be about a boy who learned to speak with a letterboard.  One day I will write it.  It will have some Autistics who excel in school and reaching out in their community.  It will top the box office.

I told Philip the winning movie of the year was 12 Years A Slave.  I reviewed some of the movies we watched this year: Planes, Lego Movie, Free Birds, Frozen, Nut Job.  I asked Philip if he were in charge of picking the best picture, which one would it be?  

And the Oscar goes to……

Frozen.  I loved it.  It was so good.

When I watched the Oscars I was impressed with some of the speeches and thought Philip might be inspired by some.  First I read excerpts from best supporting actress Lupita Nyong’o’s speech:  “Thank you to the Academy for this incredible recognition. It doesn’t escape me for one moment that so much joy in my life is thanks to so much pain in someone else’s. And so I want to salute the spirit of Patsey for her guidance. And for Solomon, thank you for telling her story and your own…. When I look down at this golden statue, may it remind me and every little child that no matter where you’re from, your dreams are valid. Thank you.”
Philip’s response:

The speech is reaching out to me to tell me to dare to dream.  I dream I can talk to tons of people about almost anything.  I each day top my last day in talking.  I want to ask each person to support Autistics by being an understanding and kind listener.  I appear stupid but I want people to know my dreams are valid.

Then I read parts of best actor winner Matthew McConaughey: “First off I want to thank God.  He’s the one I look up to.  He’s graced my life with opportunities not of my hand or any other human hand…There are only 3 things I need each day- something to look up to, something to look forward to, and someone to chase.  The one I look up to is God…When you got God, you got a friend.  The one I look forward to is my father who is now up there who taught me what it means to be a man.  My mother who taught us that in order to respect others, we have to respect ourselves first.  To my hero, that’s who I chase…It’s me in 10 years.  My hero’s always 10 years away.  That keeps me with somebody I’m always chasing…”

I like it (the speech).  I look up to God too.  He has each day opened me to understanding the world through education.  He has made lasting communication for me.  I look each day to an educator who can teach me new things.  I chase a Philip who dares to be teachable and independent.  I am each day eager to get better.



No comments:

Post a Comment