Thursday, January 31, 2019

New York City



Last weekend I went to Manhattan to see my sister compete in gymnastics. I learned about New York City a long time ago from a book mom used to read me. It was called My New York. In the book there was a girl who showed us her favorite places in NY like the Statue of Liberty, Chinatown, and Empire State Building. I wanted to go see those places. I tried to make myself enjoy the sensations of the city rather than hide from them. I tested myself by taking in the sights and sounds and smells and letting them go without letting them become overpowering. I found myself enjoying the loud sights of the city. 

I paid attention to the ethnic diversity all around me. My favorite thing about the city was seeing so many different cultures. We ate at Korean, Colombian, Italian, Filipino, and bagel places. Everywhere I walked I heard different languages. I loved seeing so many different people living together.  
Filipino fast food at Jollibee's


I met my mom’s friend Nate. He works at the Empire State Building. He showed us around his office. It was really cool. I saw the city from high up. It was full of tall buildings. I could see very far. I could see the Statue of Liberty in the distance. It must have welcomed so many people to the USA. I love that my ancestors came to America. I think it is the best place in the world because anyone can make a good life here. 
 Mom and Nate

 View from Empire State Building

I saw my first Broadway show. It was Aladdin. It was amazing. I loved the Genie. He was so funny. There were some special effects. It looked like magic. I hope to see more theater in the future. 


Being in New York City was good for a weekend but I don’t think I could live there permanently. I think there are too many sensations to feel all the time. I would never get to feel totally rested. I mean to visit New York again. There is so much more to see.

Copyright 2019 Philip Reyes.  All rights reserved.

4 comments:

  1. It was great to meet you Philip! I am glad that you had a nice visit. I feel the same way that you do about NYC sometimes- there are too many sensations! I hope you have a great week 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nate! Thank you for showing us the Empire State Building. It was really awesome. It was great meeting you. I hope we can see you again next time we visit. Philip

      Delete
  2. ❤❤❤ I felt like I was right there with you. I went to college near there and you explained it perfectly. I am glad you had such a great experience in NYC! I have enjoyed your blog so much since you started it. You are quite amazing. Love you, praise the Lord!! Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise, thank you for your comment. Where did you go to college? I think it can be a great place to learn. Many blessings, Philip

      Delete