Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The Joy in Trials



This past week we have been preparing Philip for his transition to public school.  He is very excited, but as to be expected for any child going through a major transition, he is also quite anxious.  We have been talking through his feelings and today we looked into God’s word to get some good perspective on facing trials.

We looked over the first chapter in the book of James.  A portion of what we read says:  Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.  (James 1:2-5)

Do you know what trials are?

It is a stressful time.

Do you face trials?

Y (for yes).  I am autistic.  I am mute and my challenge is proving I am smart.  I am assumed to be pretty stupid.  I am not in control of my body well.  No peace for my senses.

What does the Bible say about trials?

Trials are good bc (because) they help us to need God.  Trials are good bc each day we depend on giving each ounce of our need to God to answer our leaning-on-Him prayers.  

What is perseverance?

Never giving up.

How is this related to trials?

Trials test your faith.  Trials open you to God.  Trials educate you to know God and to become more like Jesus.

A couple of weeks ago we studied the famous photographer Dorothea Lange who took the iconic pictures of the Great Depression.  We studied that time period and looked at her pictures.  I had asked Philip his impression of them.  I like them.  They show the tension of the testing of stressful times.

Today we again looked at Lange’s photo “Migrant Mother” and the story behind the California pea pickers.  Philip wrote this response:

A Sad Time

A mom was poor to address money.  She understood she was each day trying to survive.  She and her kids each tried to pick enough food to eat.  She sold her car’s tires to make money.  Dorothea Lange took her picture.  She became famous.  There is always hope.  I am reaching out to the world to make my trials known so people will understand autism.   

 Migrant Mother by Dorothea Lange

No comments:

Post a Comment